Saturday, August 28, 2010

Diesel's TSR Collection at ArmadilloCon

If you're in the Austin area and a fan of old school D&D, run, do not walk, to ArmadilloCon at the Renaissance Hotel this Sunday morning or early afternoon. Diesel has his collection of art from his TSR days on display in the art show.

When he told me he was bringing this at GenCon, I thought it was just going to be some of the stuff he did, which would be cool enough. But he's got stuff from a wide range of artists, including Elmore, Otus, and others. He's even got the beholder piece that would become the cover to Greyhawk book of the original brown books (apparently rescued from the trash!). It's an amazing and very cool collection, some it of never released commercially.

The art show is only open from 10 AM to Noon on Sunday, so be sure to get there in those hours to see it. It's a really cool slice of the hobby's history.

4 comments:

Jimmy Simpson said...

I talked to him when he came in to pick up his art and the TSR display. He gave me permission to photograph the display, so I took lots of pictures, and made sure to catch the note boards about each piece that he had up there as well.

trollsmyth said...

Excellent! Will you be posting any online?

I spoke with him briefly on Sunday as well, and showed him my copy of A4: In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords where the Otus illustration of the myconid circle came from. He mentioned trying to bring it back again next year, maybe with more of the illustrations for the toys, which would be great, since I hadn't seen those before anywhere.

Jimmy Simpson said...

I don't want to post them all online, but I posted a few on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nimrodd/sets/72157624724775949/

biopunk said...

Thanks for posting the link, Jimmy!

Cheers!